Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Fifty Shades of Awkward

Maybe it's just me but I don't like my "vanilla" friends talking about kink to me, it makes me uncomfortable.  Now let me start by saying that I have no idea if my friends actually are kinky, but they live in the vanilla part of my life and I want them to stay there.  

I have a friend I am going to call Betty.  She is a wonderful friend both in and out of work.  She is also slightly obsessed with "Fifty Shades of Grey."  I really don't like discussing the books with her.  Am I the only one who found it awkward when my secret fetish became the "in" thing?  It feels uncomfortable to me and I don't know why exactly.  Maybe the fact that I am not "out" to my friends and family makes me feel threatened.  I almost said too much to Betty once and I try to stay away from the topic of those books because of it.

Maybe Betty is secretly a spanko too, I don't know and I don't really want to.  Lots of people like a swat now and then but it's a different thing entirely to want to be paddled until your backside is black and blue... for fun.  In a way, I feel that by turning our lifestyles into smutty mainstream romance novels it tried to cheapened what we have and who we are.  Plus, there's a lot of excellent spanko and BDSM writing out there that could have represented us all so much more accurately. 

I love this part of my life, but it is very private.  I blog anonymously to maintain that privacy.  It just feels a little too close to home when my friends are swooning over those books.  Yes I said swooning.  There's just no other word for it.  I will be glad when the next trend comes along and pushes this one out of the way.

So, is it just me?  Does anyone else feel weird when their secret kinky life brushes too close to their vanilla life?  Or do you look at these books as a way to talk about TTWD with vanillas without having to out yourself? 

2 comments:

  1. my best friend in the whole world, yes if i had to use the term bff, she would be it, called me excitedly one day and said i simply must read those books especially since i'm so "open minded" and loved books.

    erm. yeah, i've read them i tell her.

    and she's going on and on and on about how fantastic this or that thing is. how sweet that he changed himself for her.

    and i want to stick a finger in my mouth and vomit. as a dom, christian grey sucks. how do i say this to my best friend who's in love with him?

    sigh. you are not alone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Today Betty was talking about some "news" story where a woman is divorcing her husband because "he won't do 50 Shades." Does that make all of us who do this "50 Shaders?" Please no. Please. Just. No.

      Please.

      Delete